Financial Planning Test Analyst
What’s the role?
Location: Northwestern Mutual office in New York
Level: Mid-level and senior level openings
We are building proprietary financial planning software to transform the client planning experience at Northwestern Mutual. In order to ensure the advice and calculations of the software are correct, we are growing our team of specialized software testers.
As a member of our testing team, you will be responsible for applying financial planning subject expertise to test the results of our proprietary software. You will analyze both the calculations and advice recommendations of the planning algorithm and will work closely with software developers and product managers to help build and improve our planning tools.
In addition to using your financial planning background to ensure that our planning advice is excellent by all measurable standards, you will be expected to learn (with provided time and training) industry-standard software testing practices and software development processes. This role blends detailed number verification with financial planning and technical problem solving. We are a team of curious, diligent planners who are constantly striving to improve how we test and validate financial planning software.
General milestones are the following:
- Within the first month, demonstrate a broad understanding of our application as a whole and how the algorithm fits into individual pieces of software. You should also be able to demonstrate both a holistic and nuanced view of how the algorithm works. Training and guidance will be provided.
- Within the first month, with guidance from a fellow team member, successfully demonstrate the ability to rigorously test small portions of the algorithm and give valuable feedback / ask questions that show you grasp the software and basic testing concepts.
- Within three months, pass the ISTQB Foundation Level exam for apprentice QA Engineers (see http://www.istqb.org/certification-path-root/foundation-level/foundation-level-content.html (http://www.istqb.org/certification-path-root/foundation-level/foundation-level-content.html) - sufficient time and training material will be provided.
- Within five months, with minimal assistance from testing leads, be able to analyze new features or modifications to the algorithm and create a testing plan upon which you then execute.
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- 5+ years of experience in financial planning.
- CFP® a huge plus.
- Technical, must enjoy getting your hands dirty and be excited to learn about new technology.
- Can move quickly. Everyone is incredibly kind and extremely willing to share knowledge and help out, but you have to be willing to take ownership of the outlined goals and make things happen.
- Fully stocked snacks, beer fridge, cold brew kegs, frequent catered lunches, and whiskey hours
- Tuition reimbursement, commuter plans, and paid time off
- Highly competitive compensation that includes base salary plus bonus
- Medical/Dental/Vision plans, Matching 401(k), pension program