High Net Worth Financial Advisor
Who are we?
We are The Motley Fool, a purpose-driven financial information and services firm with nearly 30 years of experience focused on making the world smarter, happier, and richer. But what does that even mean?! It means we’re helping Fools (always with a capital “F”) demystify the world of finance, beat the stock market, and achieve personal wealth and happiness through our products and services.
The Motley Fool is firmly committed to diversity, inclusion, and equity. We are a motley group of overachievers that have built a culture of trust founded on Foolishness, fun, and a commitment to making the world smarter, happier and richer. However you identify or whatever winding road has led you to us, please don't hesitate to apply if the description above leaves you thinking, "Hey! I could do that!"
What does this team do?
Our purpose at The Motley Fool is "To Make the World Smarter, Happier, and Richer", and on the Motley Fool Wealth Management team, we get to help pursue that goal in a very direct way by managing our clients’ nest eggs and providing personalized advice. Motley Fool Wealth Management is a Registered Investment Advisor managing over $2 billion in stock-focused managed accounts. We also offer index-based investing, but it represents less than 1% of client assets. Our sister companies include Motley Fool Asset Management with over $1 billion in assets in mutual funds and ETFs; 1623 Capital with over $100 million in managed assets in a hedge fund; Motley Fool Ventures with over $150 million in a venture fund; and Lakehouse Capital with over $300 AUD million in Australian performance funds.
What would you do in this role?
As a High Net Worth Financial Advisor, you’ll be one part fiduciary advisor, one part sales machine, and one part client service. Our marketing engine is gathering leads at breakneck speed, so there’s no need for cold calling or traveling sales, but you’ll be focused on (and measured by!) lead conversions. We’re looking for a self-starter that can represent the Foolish brand proudly in the quest to turn prospects into clients, and clients into evangelists.
There’s a lot that makes us different from a “traditional” advisory practice –
- Prospect meetings are virtual by default. When a prospect books a meeting, that takes place as a phone call with rare in-office visits as exceptions. You will be the first point of contact for prospective clients.
- Our investment strategies are focused on individual stock picking. While you needn’t be a stock picker yourself, believing in the success of our actively managed stock strategies is a must for this role. Our portfolio management team picks the stocks that make up our asset class models, and you’ll be helping to construct those models into a personalized portfolio for clients.
- We operate as a team. You’ll be the main point of contact for your curated book of business, but we also have thousands of clients that are served on a team service model and we’re all wearing multiple jester hats.
- There’s room to grow. Fool Wealth has sister companies that include mutual funds, a hedge fund, a venture fund, and we’re always looking at ways to expand our Foolish investing reach.
But what does this role actually do?
- Developing fluency in our core managed account program in order to get clients into the right solutions for their specific situation
- Deepening relationships with HNW clients and providing comprehensive financial planning for households with over $1 million under management.
- Working with clients on rebalancing their investments annually, accounting for special circumstances that warrant non-traditional asset allocations.
- Maintaining a sales rhythm that includes inbound appointments as well as outbound efforts to nurture leads along the sales pipeline. You’ll be accountable for conversion on your client appointments and continually sharpening your sales process.
- Embracing metrics that drive business results - we’ll be measuring conversion rates and retention rates as KPI’s.
- Providing sound financial advice at all client levels, whether you are being asked about IRA contribution limits or limit orders.
- Building strong relationships and partnering on feedback with our internal teams, including client service, marketing, portfolio managers, traders, operations, and developers.
What do you need to apply?
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM designation
- 3+ years of experience as a fiduciary financial advisor
- Ability to listen, anticipate, and overcome the objections and then move to resolution to drive both sales AND satisfaction
- Self-motivated with a strong desire to achieve results tied to the firm’s substantial growth goals
- Adaptability with a “Top It” mentality. Things change and our organization as a whole moves fast - successful Fools are charged by this energy. If you think there’s a better way to do things, raise it up in conjunction with a thoughtful suggestion
It’s even better if you have…
- Ability to prioritize independently and in alignment with the firm’s business goals, while also working cohesively in a team-oriented setting
- Excellent communicator at all levels - whether it be talking to prospective clients or sharing results and information with the team and leadership
- Experience with CRM software, particularly HubSpot and Orion Advisor Services
- Series 7 and 66 are a plus, but will be expected within 90 days of hire
- Existing book of business is a plus
The Motley Fool has been twice named Glassdoor’s #1 Best Small Business to work for in the U.S., named to Inc.’s Best Workplaces of 2020, named one of BuiltIn’s Best Places to Work in Colorado, and we’re a perennial favorite on Washingtonian’s list of Best Places to Work year after year. Our targeted cash compensation for this role is between $95,000 and $130,000, which does not include any potential equity offerings. Below you’ll see a few of our perks, but check out this site for the complete list:
- No “vacation policy” (not to be confused with a “No vacation” policy)
- Paid maternity, paternity, and pet-ernity leave
- $1,000 to invest when you start
- Super low premiums for medical, dental and vision coverage
- Comprehensive compensation package, including company equity