Senior Financial Planning Nerd
About the Company
The mission of Kitces.com is to help financial advicers be better and more successful, creating a 100X multiplier effect for our work and the number of consumers we can positively impact with the power of financial planning delivered by a Kitces-supported financial advicer to their clients.
To achieve this mission, Kitces.com publishes the leading financial planning industry blog Nerd’s Eye View, producing award-winning commentary on financial planning strategies and practice management trends for financial advisors ranked as the most Influential, Objective, Relevant, and Useful content amongst any online media publication for financial advisors. In addition, our Members Section provides additional white papers, webinars, training courses to master essential skills, and the opportunity for financial planning professionals to earn Continuing Education credits, and we are invited to speak regularly at financial advisor conferences across the US and around the world to present our analysis and insights.
Unlike traditional media sites, though, Kitces.com deliberately generates no revenue from advertising or sponsored content. Instead, we remain solely focused on creating value directly for the financial advicer community, strengthening the awareness of and integrity of the Kitces brand, and being compensated directly from our readers both on our site (for those who join our Members Section, hire us to speak about financial planning topics or engage us to consult on our Kitces Research), and through our co-owned financial services solutions for consumers (who may engage with our related financial advisory firms) as well as our business solutions for financial advisors themselves (for whom we have a number of businesses providing service and technology solutions for advisory firms).
Kitces.com is hiring a Senior Financial Planning Nerd who will be responsible for writing original Nerd’s Eye View articles (and doing the associated research and analysis) on topics of interest to the financial advicer community, keeping our financial planning Resources timely and updated, supporting on the development of our speaker presentations, and providing other support as needed to the Advisor Education team in the creation of our Members Section content.
So if the idea of being able to just ‘nerd out’ on financial planning, tax strategies, and research all day long excites you, you enjoy continuously learning and sharing that learning journey with others (and figuring out the best way to teach and communicate those concepts), are excited to support industry-leading thought leaders and developing your own expertise in service to the financial advicer community, and want to join the most trusted source of quality and relevant information in the financial planning industry (as well as a team that actually lives by the values they talk about)... then this is the job for you!
This full-time, entirely virtually based staff position (work from anywhere, no relocation required!) will report to the Managing Editor as a member of the Editorial Team, and work directly to support Chief Financial Planning Nerd Michael Kitces.
Core responsibilities include following:
Annual Content Creation Responsibilities:
- Creation of 24 full-length articles for Nerd’s Eye View (2 every month) throughout the calendar year, including all related research and analysis, following the Kitces 3x3x3 content framework
- Co-author weekly Weekend Reading article summaries every Friday
- Create Executive Summaries for external Guest Post articles
- Maintain the Kitces AdvisorTech Landscape Map and AdvisorTech Directory
- Support the blog creation process as need, including the development of relevant blog graphics to present key information, and supporting spreadsheet models where necessary to analyze key topics or issues
- Provide backup support to Senior Technical editor
- Monitor industry trade and other publications for potential articles for Weekend Reading recap or social media sharing
- Support identification of prospective topics or Guest authors for Nerd’s Eye View blog posts
- Assist in reviewing Guest Post submissions to determine if appropriate to accept into the editing process
- Support in the creation of new or updated PowerPoint slide presentations based on existing articles and other site content
- Respond to Media Inquiries as appropriate for financial planning expertise on behalf of the Kitces team
- Serve as a paid Kitces Speaker for webinars or in-person conference events
- Provide consulting services as a part of Kitces Consulting
In addition to the above responsibilities, we encourage our team members to identify other growth opportunities for the platform and lead in their implementation while learning new and beneficial skills. In other words, you will own certain assigned accountabilities, but we also want you to work on projects and opportunities that YOU identify as relevant to the platform and career, and that you are passionate about. We at the Kitces team are building something together!
Key Candidate Traits
The ideal candidate should be self-motivated enough to work in a virtual environment with limited supervision (autonomous), have an extremely strong inclination for continuous learning (self-development), an immaculate attention to detail (organized and efficient), a service mindset (seeks to collaborate and to help and support others in service to the financial advicer community), and an ability to work in a changing fast-growing environment (adaptability). We are a team that lives by our values, our support of one another, and our commitment to the community we serve. The successful candidate will share these values.
- Do the Right Thing
- Advisors First
- Be the Trusted Source
- Deposit More Than We Withdraw
- No A$$holes
- Get Your Nerd On
The candidate should also be highly adept at both written and verbal communication to educate, both within our virtual team and to our financial advisor audience, and be capable to meeting specific content production deadlines.
Notably, the Kitces platform itself is also growing and evolving. As a result, we are looking for people who seek to be challenged to learn, grow, try new things, and will bring fresh perspectives to the team.
The successful candidate will have completed their CFP certification, and a Master’s degree or other advanced designations are strongly preferred. Direct planning experience with clients is a positive, but not required.
- Base salary $70,000 - $90,000/year (depending on experience)
- Available bonus up to 12% of base salary (payable at up to 3%/quarter), determined by meeting key Members Section metrics
- $5,000 budget for additional financial planning education (i.e., post-CFP designations/certifications) or other training/skills education
- $2,000 budget for technology hardware/software or related office materials
- $3,000 conference budget
- Paid membership in Financial Planning Association, NAPFA, and/or other relevant membership associations
- 15 days of paid time off for combined vacation + sick, plus 6 national holidays
- Participation in company 401(k) plan
- Participation in company health insurance plan
Interested candidates for the Senior Financial Planning Nerd should submit their Resume and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, and may include an (optional) up-to-2-minute video to explain why they are interested in the position.