Blucora has a bold aspiration: we are committed to giving all people the tools needed to lead healthy financial lives - tools often reserved for the wealthy.
We now turn to the next leg, developing the technological tools that make our vision of financial health for all a reality. Atypical for the financial services industry, we take a contemporary approach to strategy and product development that is founded in user insights, rapid testing and a singular focus on driving end-user value.
Since charting new territory on a daily basis is part of everyone's job at Blucora, we've attracted team members who thrive on the challenge, encourage each other, and are passionately committed to the goal. If you agree that problem- solving is a team sport, and feel energized by a good debate, deep dive research, or a fun night out with colleagues, we might be the right firm for you!
Avantax Wealth Management, a subsidiary of Blucora and sister company to Avantax Planning Partners and TaxAct is seeking a Principal, Advanced Case Design that will assist the Avantax Wealth Management Financial Planning team and the Avantax Planning Partners team in the analysis, development, and implementation of high net worth client opportunities. The role provides advanced case consultation to affiliated financial professionals, CPAs, and Avantax planning teams. The role requires comprehensive knowledge of estate planning, and advanced planning practice areas including investments, insurance products, income tax, retirement planning, qualified plans, executive compensation, business succession, and estate tax planning. The Advanced Case Design Principal will meet with clients at the request of the financial professional to present recommended deliverables and projected planning scenarios.
Education & Experience
Essential job duties for this position include the following items. Other duties must be performed as assigned or required:
- Work with Financial Professionals and their high-net-worth clients and business owners to help develop and carry out their goals.
- Discuss complicated estate planning techniques effectively and efficiently with clients (such as IDGT, GRAT, CRT, CLT, GSTT).
- Monitor high-net-worth and ultra-high-net-worth opportunities.
- Manage workflow of advanced case opportunities and provide case tracking status updates.
- Provide research and insight on a variety of planning-related topics for our FPs and clients (such as Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, estate planning).
- Write articles regarding timely topics to be distributed to financial professionals and CPA affiliates.
- Analyze data for advanced planning opportunities and recommendations to FPs in the form of advanced plans and plan documentation.
- Develop and/or review and approve planning scenarios for client meetings, including (but not limited to): estate and tax planning, retirement planning, gifting strategies, etc.)
- Explain and present deliverables to CPA affiliates, prospects, and clients.
- Quickly analyze and assess new information while in client meetings and make appropriate changes to the plan.
- Maintain ongoing expertise in advanced planning strategies and how they are used.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with FPs, CPA affiliates, prospects, and clients.
- Lead client meetings (in person or via web conference) as requested by the financial professional to present the planning options for the client or prospect.
- Develop content and deliver effective presentations at Avantax conferences and/or webinars.
- Determine action steps for advanced case strategy and follow through on plan implementation.
- Meet assigned due dates and provide documentation for all plans and advanced techniques entered or recommended.
- Maintain confidentiality of client information.
- Initiate training and develop deliverables for the benefit of the Avantax planning teams and FPs as needed.
- Uphold, support, and promote all company policies and procedures.
Review and analyze the following documents and ascertain relevant planning information and opportunities:
- Buy/sell agreements
- Stock option agreements
- Executive compensation agreements
- Retirement plan documents
- Federal and state tax returns
- Estate planning documents
- Gift and estate tax returns
- Investment and bank account statements
- Retirement account statements
- Mortgages and loans
- Personal Financial Statements
- Insurance policies (life, long-term care)
- Annuities (fixed and variable)
- Social Security statements
Education & Experience
- Master's degree (M.A) or equivalent; or ten + years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong presentation skills and sales acumen.
- Strong knowledge and experience in advance case planning including estate, retirement, and business planning expertise.
- 10 years of estate planning experience.
- Professional written and oral communication style as well as strong organizational skills.
- Strong relationship management skills; effectively work with financial professionals, the planning teams as well as cross-functionality with other product areas.
- Strong computer skills with MS Word, Excel, CRM Database, PowerPoint, Email, and Internet usage.
- Experience with eMoney or another planning tool.
- Knowledge of tax law, JD or CPA preferred.
Certificates, Licenses, or, Registrations:
- Certified Financial Planner (CFP®), FPINRA Series 7 and 66 required; CPA preferred.
Physical Demand & Work Effort
- Keying/typing, standing, walking.
- Sitting for an extended period.
- Constant mental and/or visual attention; the work is either repetitive or diversified requiring constant alertness in an office environment.
- The job is typically performed under comfortable working conditions; any disagreeable elements are generally absent during the normal performance of the job.
- Compliance with company attendance standards.
We offer a competitive salary, outstanding benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, paid vacation and sick days, paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, and 401(k) with company match.
At Blucora, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, Blucora welcomes and celebrates diversity and inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At Blucora, you can expect a supportive, open and inclusive atmosphere and a team that values your contributions.
Blucora, Inc. and its subsidiaries, Avantax Wealth Management, Avantax Planning Partners (formerly HK Financial Services), and TaxAct are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and any other status protected under federal or state law. Blucora, considers information gathered in the hiring process, including information on this application, confidential, and only shares it on a need-to-know basis or as required by law.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at HR@Blucora.com or by calling 972-870-6000 to speak with a member of the HR Talent Acquisition team.