This opportunity is with a well established, planning based RIA in Birmingham, Alabama that manages over 2.5 billion in assets. The Director of Portfolio Management is an important role and will entail three main aspects:
- Portfolio Manager (manage and overseeing traders; execute trades and portfolio management software).
- Investment Analyst (being a resource to the Investment Committee and the Chief Investment Strategist).
- Investment Department Member (educate advisors and clients about portfolios, our investment process, or markets).
The Role of Portfolio Manager (Analysis/Trading)
- Lead, manage, and accountability for traders: Head Operations Trader and Back-up Traders
- Responsible for managing models in trading software (Orion: Eclipse).
- Responsible for globally monitoring all client portfolios in trading software to identify portfolios in need of trades (out of tolerance).
- Oversee execution of in-bound trade requests made by advisory teams.
- Oversee and responsible for placing, documenting, and reviewing all trades.
- Oversee the handling of Cash Flow Planning and Cash Management
- Daily review of cash balances and actions needed to be taken.
- Manage appropriate minimum and max cash thresholds as well as recurring contributions and distributions.
- Appropriately manage cash flow of accounts to provide for timely collection of fees. Provide and execute recommended action plans to collect on any outstanding uncollected fees.
- Identify opportunities to harvest losses as well as opportunities to switch to a more tax-efficient (or more preferred) investment vehicle.
- Effectively communicate with Advisor teams to explain trades and answer questions regarding investment philosophy, a client’s Investment Policy Statement (IPS), and portfolio implementation and ongoing management.
The Role of an Investment Analyst (Research/Communication)
- Deep understanding of our investment philosophy and the investments we use.
- Actively participate in monthly Investment Committee (IC) meetings, as well as the meetings of its various committees.
- Provide research and analysis to assist IC in its asset allocation, manager selection, and any other implementation decisions.
- Schedule, attend, and document manager phone conferences with mutual funds, separately managed accounts, and private fund managers
- Work with Chief Investment Strategist in preparing the IC Quarterly Investment Outlook presentation and other educational materials for use with advisors and clients.
- Ensure that IC due diligence efforts are properly documented
- Be an advisor resource with regards to market and investment vehicle information.
The Role of an Investment Department Team Member
- As an important member of the investment department and IC, advisors and staff will rely on you for important investment information to help them make decisions with clients.
- We are all on one team and in many client situations, advisors like to present that team approach by having a member of the investment team be in client meetings to present what is happening in the market as well as changes needed in their portfolio.
- Our desire is to promote a collegial atmosphere where we are all being mentored and are being a mentor, to promote continuous personal and organizational growth.
- At least 5 years of investment experience, with preference towards familiarity with portfolio management (rebalancing software).
- CFA Charterholder is preferred or current level 2 Candidate