OLIO Financial Planning was founded with a rebellious and stubborn objective: to reinvent the industry by providing financial planning to all using a revolutionary fee structure. Fundamentally, we believe the client experience should look and feel completely different than it does today – and that’s just what we’ve set out to do.
We work in a team environment. We believe clients are best served when we put multiple heads together. We’re a group of individuals prepared to roll up our sleeves to challenge the status quo and offer an incredible client experience. To venture far beyond what's comfortable, and who can fail and get back up again.
What we do
We believe financial planning can only be done well by offering comprehensive advice across all six areas of financial planning. We balance an equal focus on all of them, and we make sure clients share in our expertise by prioritizing their ongoing education. We believe finances should support and enhance clients’ lives – helping them to pursue what they care about. We work with a wide range of clients from recent college grads with mountains of student debt to executives of some of the biggest names on the Fortune 500 list. We're a unique group passionately pursuing the meaning of our clients’ money. Turning obstacles into opportunities. We’re intrigued by edges and unknowns. We’re creative, committed, and perhaps different. We ask lots of questions and feel collaboration is the glue that holds it all together.
We’re relentless about results. Unreasonable about standards. We don’t care how much clients have, but rather, what they aspire to do with it. Our preference is long-lasting relationships that are mutually rewarding.
What we need
We’re seeking a motivated, curious, and experienced financial planner to manage existing relationships as well as proactively identify and meet clients’ needs in Blacksburg, VA, Tysons Corner, VA, or remotely. This person will also be responsible for helping to mentor and coach Residents in Financial Planning and Associate Financial Planners. The ideal candidate must have an upbeat mentality and be capable of managing the daily needs of a growing financial planning practice. A book of business is not required nor is attracting new clients.
We have two office locations, one on the outskirts of Washington, DC in Tysons Corner, VA and the other in the mountains of southwest Virginia in Blacksburg.
This is a 45-50 hours/week position with the possibility of 60 hours/week during tax season and at the end of the year given our heavy emphasis on tax planning. We are a five-year-old, quickly growing company so while our goal is to reduce the number of hours to 40, we’re not there yet.
What you’ll do
As a Lead Financial Planner, you’ll be a subject matter expert helping to evolve and refine how we engage clients. This role requires a self-motivated individual who can run multiple initiatives with a sensitivity to deadlines. Below are a few examples of the work you’ll perform on a day-to-day basis:
- Be the go-to person for client questions, advice, and implementation for roughly 75-100 clients
- Complete tax projections to determine estimated tax payments, Roth conversion amounts, and/or charitable planning opportunities within BNA Income Tax planner and Holistiplan
- Create and present a retirement projection utilizing safe and sustainable withdrawal rates
- Develop student loan payoff analysis based on the various repayment plan options
- Propose an appropriate investment allocation, educate the client, and place the necessary trades in Morningstar
- Educate clients on the merits of a revocable trust vs. a will
- Ensure clients are adequately covered in the case of pre-mature disability or death and that the survivor and any children would be able to continue their lifestyle
- Maintain best practices in changes in technology and regulatory issues and how they may impact the company
- Evaluate ways to improve and streamline client interaction and financial plan delivery
- Be a hands-on leader focused on excellent and consistent delivery of advice
- Work within our software package (RedTail, Morningstar, Microsoft Office Suite, and BNA Income Tax planner, Holistiplan, and RightCapital)
- Assist with developing all members of the planning team through coaching and training
- Change lightbulbs, figuratively speaking! We’re a small company so there are times we all pitch in to do everything!
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERTM and in good standing with the CFP Board of Standards, Inc.
- Retainment of technical knowledge across all areas of financial planning since taking the CFP® exam
- Must have experience being the primary point of contact for client relationships as well as identifying and meeting client needs
- Organized and detailed oriented self-starter who works well with existing processes but strives for excellence and efficiency improvements on an ongoing basis
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and balance multiple deadlines and workflows
- At least 5+ years of financial planning experience
- Comfortable with receiving feedback and providing it to others in a kind, respectful way
- Are a life-longer learner who’s never done growing and improving
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel is required
- Know how to have a good time
You know you’re a good fit if you
- Are comfortable working on a computer and/or sitting for most of the workday. This is fundamentally a desk job but you are welcome to raise your desk or sit on a wellness ball.
- You feel gossip is unhelpful and unproductive. We’re looking for mature communicators who come prepared with solutions and share their feedback with managers. We vent up and not sideways.
- Don’t cut corners. We are committed to high standards. We strive for 99.9% error-free paperwork, financial plans, and client deliverables. We’re looking for someone who takes the extra minute to double check their work or research a recent law change one more time.
- Take 100% personal responsibility for anything you touch.
- Are a resourceful problem solver. Your go-to is Google, your network, or a study group before you ask your colleague who’s in a groove what the Roth IRA maximum is for 2021.
- Have a can-do attitude and like working on a team
The part you’ve been waiting for
- Competitive salary package
- 100% paid health insurance along with a company contribution to an HSA
- 100% paid short and long-term disability insurance, and life insurance
- 401(k) match and discretionary profit-sharing plan contributions
- CE budget
- Flexible work hours
- An unlimited vacation policy to allow you to truly relax and reboot
- Dog-friendly Blacksburg office
- Choice of PC or Mac
- Free financial planning, of course
Apply by filling out our application at: https://meetolio.com/careers#open-positions
In the, “Anything else we should know about you,” section, please tell us what you like to do to relax.
Thanks for applying!