Merriman is searching for an exceptional person to join our team as an Associate Advisor. The person filling this position will work as an integral team member with one or more advisors and client service associates to empower our clients to live fully by helping them with all aspects of their financial lives. The associate advisor position provides an opportunity to have an immediate impact on clients while also developing the skills needed to be a lead advisor and partner in the firm. We are highly selective in choosing team members and seek a unique individual who has a driving passion for engaging with and taking care of people and an interest in financial planning and investment management. We are a well-established and expanding wealth management firm that needs people who will grow with us, personally and professionally.
As an Associate Advisor, your primary role will be to support one or more wealth advisors with developing financial and investment recommendations for new and existing clients. You will:
- In tandem with a wealth advisor, meet with current and prospective clients to understand their financial needs, goals, and concerns and gather details about their current financial data
- With guidance, review their financial situation and develop a custom recommendation for their unique needs
- Utilize portfolio analysis tools such as Morningstar and financial planning software such as MoneyGuide Pro to analyze their portfolio and assets and generate reports
- Participate in client meetings with an advisor including presenting analyses and recommendations, answering questions, and addressing concerns
Supporting our team of advisors in bringing the benefits of our wealth management process to more clients is also an important part of the role. This support may involve:
- Attending events such as dinners, retirement parties, and educational events and interacting with prospective clients to answer questions and talk about Merriman
- Researching and creating articles, blog posts, and videos on financial planning topics
- Producing educational presentation materials for use by advisors and other employees
We view the associate advisor role as a training ground for future wealth advisors and ongoing education and professional development is a key part of the job. You will be expected to:
- Study for and make steady progress towards obtaining their Certified Financial Planner designation
- Learn and understand our investment philosophy and become proficient at explaining it to clients and answering their questions
- Gain a working knowledge of financial planning software and tools and develop the ability to answer the most common questions independently
We opened our doors in 1983 and since then we have become an established firm of intellectually curious, motivated people that combine technical expertise with compassion and empathy. We are financial educators and life advisors with a fresh approach to wealth management who support clients throughout their entire journey.
We believe true wealth is not just accumulating money but enabling clients and those they care about to live a fuller life. Our advisors are trained to understand the relationship between money, the control it gives clients over how they spend their time, and the powerful and universal influence that has on their happiness. We have proven investment expertise and the empathy to understand and support client needs. We are passionate about educating clients about our investment strategy and showing them how it will enable them to live life more fully.
First and foremost, we are seeking a candidate who loves working with people, is analytical and detail-oriented, and is a great team player and collaborator. A Bachelor’s degree or higher with coursework in financial planning, accounting, business, economics, psychology, or other related areas is required.
The ideal candidate would have the following attributes:
- Committed to exceptional client service
- Comfortable dealing with information that is sensitive, personal, and confidential
- Show good judgment, reliability, and trustworthiness
- Demonstrate professional poise, patience, understanding, and tact especially when working with clients who are under stress
- Possess a strong desire to continuously learn and grow
- Have experience working in a team environment
- Ability to balance and prioritize among multiple projects
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Highly self-motivated and intellectually curious
An NASD series 65 license is required for this position. You must pass the exam within the first six months of employment at Merriman.
The Company requires full COVID-19 vaccination as a pre-requisite to performing the position you are applying for, unless a legally-recognized medical or religious exemption applies (in which case there are COVID testing and masking requirements for the exempted employees). The Company is an equal opportunity employer, and will provide reasonable accommodation to those unable to be vaccinated where it is not an undue hardship to the Company to do so as provided under federal, state, and local law.
Merriman has offices in Seattle, Bellevue (opening January 2022), and Spokane, Washington and Eugene, Oregon. We prefer candidates who are available to work in our Bellevue office. Normal hours are 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. We expect the newly hired employee to work in the office for the first 3- to 6-months of employment. After the initial onboarding period, we typically allow client-facing employees in good standing to work remotely up to 3 days per week. You may be asked to occasionally attend a client event outside of normal business hours.
This position works in a high-rise office environment. The position requires sitting, standing, and mobility throughout the office. Ability to use common office products (phone, fax, PC and related software) is necessary to perform this job. The ability to communicate clearly and professionally is vital.
We offer a team-based, safe, positive work environment where employees are encouraged to grow into new responsibilities and to accept new challenges. This is a salaried position with an annual bonus opportunity and a competitive benefits package which includes:
As a result of the environment, we strive to create for our staff, our employee turnover is very low. In the interest of our employee’s health, we are a non-smoking firm.
To apply, please visit our website at www.merriman.com/jobs where you will be prompted to complete our online application process.
We look forward to hearing from you!