Identifies, recommends, and defends individual investments and/ or implementation vehicles to improve portfolio outcomes for clients. Serves as Portfolio Specialist within Wilmington Trust’s Retirement and Institutional Custody Services (RICS) 401(K) Advisory Team. Builds relationships with operations, sales and external retirement plan sponsors. Actively delivers a broad set of investment analysis across various platforms. Ensures accurate Employee Retirement Income Act (ERISA) 3(21) Investment Advisor and 3(38) Investment Manager model implementation and minimizes investment menu risk for clients.
- Serve as ERISA 3(21) Investment Advisor providing client with investment lineup recommendations.
- Serve as ERISA 3(38) Investment Manager assuming the discretion, authority, control and risk associated with management of investment lineup.
- Develop and deliver innovative industry leading investment solutions.
- Maintain successful investing track record.
- Work with Retirement and Institutional Custody Services (RICS) senior leadership to determine Advisory Business direction and strategy.
- Participate in client and prospect meetings as a subject matter expert (SME) to help solidify current relationships and win new business.
- Evaluate and monitor investment position against established objectives and recommend removal or addition of new investments.
- Negotiate complex contracts with third party investment managers to obtain favorable terms.
- Understand and adhere to the Company’s risk and regulatory standards, policies and controls in accordance with the Company’s Risk Appetite. Identify risk-related issues needing escalation to management.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the M&T Bank brand.
- Maintain M&T internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators as applicable.
- Complete other related duties as assigned.
Scope of Responsibilities:
As a Portfolio Specialist within Wilmington Trust’s Retirement and Institutional Custody Services (RICs) Advisory Team, this position will have responsibility for a rapidly growing client population.
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 7 years’ relevant experience, or in lieu of a degree, a combined minimum of 11 years’ higher education and/or work experience, including a minimum of 7 years’ relevant experience
- Demonstrated track record of successful investment management
- Deep capital markets knowledge and industry expertise
- Strong analytic skills
- Strong research skills
- Experience communicating insights to internal and external stakeholders
- Experience leading in a team environment
- Experience operating effectively within a large organization
- Broad network of industry expert contacts
- Proven record of accomplishment in managing discretionary investments and multi-asset portfolios
Education and Experience Preferred:
- Advanced degree
- 15 years’ relevant experience
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) or progressing toward CFA designation
- Working knowledge and experience of ERISA and Department of Labor (DOL) regulations
- Broad knowledge of asset classes, specifically International/Emerging and Derivative markets
- Experience with current and prospective clients’ retirement plan advisors, consultants, and third-party administrator firms