Homrich Berg ("HB") is a leading fee-only financial planning and investment advisory firm located in Atlanta, GA. Established in 1989, HB’s employees provide comprehensive financial planning and investment management services primarily to high net worth individuals.
The Director of Financial Planning will lead HB’s efforts to ensure all advisors are well-equipped to deliver excellent, comprehensive financial planning advice. This position leads the charge in ensuring HB client relationships are planning-driven, and HB clients get receive consistent, excellent planning advice no matter which HB advisor serves them. The role is critical for supporting HB’s rapid growth trajectory while maintaining the excellent client service that has always been our hallmark.
The Director of Financial Planning will report to the Chief Operating Officer.
- Serves as a key resource and subject matter expert for HB advisors across the full range of financial planning topics, including tax, insurance, estate, retirement, charitable, education, cash flow, and multi-generational planning; coaches and educates advisors in these areas
- Leads our overall subject matter expert (SME) practice, which allows advisors to differentially focus on one or more areas of financial planning and deepens HB’s expertise in this area; works with each SME leader to develop strategy and set goals, allocate appropriate resources, and ensure execution
- Stays on top of key developments in each planning area and educates advisors on upcoming changes (in partnership with SME practice leaders); creates formal (whitepapers, presentations, etc.) and informal (talking points, etc.) support for advisor discussions with current and prospective clients
- Builds and maintains an organized knowledge base that advisors can leverage for research, discussions, and presentations
- Develops standards in key areas and ensures their consistent application across the full advisor base
- Works through complex planning scenarios with advisors to help develop recommendations for clients, including presentation development, and joins client meetings as necessary
- Participates in prospective client meetings as needed to support conversations around complex planning scenarios
- Leads development of broad client communications on financial planning topics, including emails, webinars, and event presentations
- Leads HB’s strategic efforts with centers of influence (COIs), including CPAs, attorneys, insurance advisors, and other professionals; builds and maintains a preferred list of advisors in each area, helps advisors match specific client situations to the best-fitting external advisor
- Supports HB marketing efforts through participation in marketing initiatives, including presenting in seminars/webinars, creating content (whitepapers, articles, blog posts), and other activities
- Promotes financial planning in the community through external initiatives (workshops, COI meetings, conferences, etc.); grows and leverages network and relationships to build awareness of HB
- Performs other duties as directed by COO and other executive team members
- Bachelor’s degree required (business/finance/economics preferred); advanced degree preferred
- CFP required; additional relevant professional credentials preferred
- 5+ years of experience at an RIA or similar financial institution required
- 5+ years of experience interacting with high-net-worth clients
- Proven leadership skills, great attention to detail, ability to see the “big picture”
- Strong interpersonal skills, including written and verbal communication
- Commitment to the highest standards of integrity and confidentiality
- Ability to successfully pass criminal background / credit check required.