Who We Are
Founded in 1998, The Planning Center (TPC) is a fee-only financial planning company with an in-house team of tax professionals. As one of the most respected and well-established RIAs in the country, TPC has a proud history of innovation and influence within the industry.
We believe that money, when approached with intention and foresight, can be a powerful tool for shaping positive change in our clients’ lives. Our goal is to build enduring relationships with our clients by delivering a highly personalized, best-in-class financial planning experience. This begins with deep listening as we guide clients through thoughtful conversations about what matters most to them and their families. Then, once the client feels fully heard and understood, we leverage our team's expertise to create and implement a plan that is reflective of their unique priorities, hopes, and concerns.
We have several locations within the U.S. and are continuing to expand our office and client footprint. As a mid-sized privately owned company, we value diverse perspectives, entrepreneurial thinking and, above all, a commitment to always act in the best interest of our clients.
The History of the Chicago Office
Our Chicago office was born in 2015 when Michelle and Cicily Maton, the mother-daughter team behind Aequus Wealth Management, made the strategic decision to merge with the The Planning Center. Founded in 1986, Aequus was a pioneering force in the financial planning profession. As a woman-owned and woman-led firm serving a mostly female clientele, Aequus was an early champion for gender diversity in the financial planning community. Cicily, Michelle, and the rest of the Chicago team are proud to have played a role in giving women a seat at the table in crucial money-related conversations.
About the Role
Your objective as a Financial Planner is mainly to learn how to become a Sr. Financial Planner. You will work alongside our Sr. Financial Planners to learn how we deliver a best-in-class experience for our clients. Your first few months will be spent learning the “TPC way” from the ground up. This process will include 1-on-1 meetings with colleagues to learn systems and processes, group meetings to learn about TPC culture and company-wide initiatives, and client meetings to learn firsthand how we serve our clients and their families.
Once this foundation has been established, you will be encouraged to take on additional responsibility and contribute directly to the success of the company and its clients. Whether this means taking over responsibility for client relationships, serving on committees, or taking on special projects that inspire you, we are excited for you to bring your own unique value to the company. Our goal is to ensure that every member of the team has a voice and an opportunity to contribute in a way that feels meaningful and energizing to them.
What You’ll be Doing
Support the Sr. Financial Planner (lead relationship manager) in meetings Your role will initially be as listener and note taker, with the goal of preparing you to eventually lead meetings and take on the responsibilities of a Sr. Financial Planner Prepare client financial plans Prepare for, take notes, help run, and do follow-up for existing client review meetings Supervise and review data entry and completion of necessary tasks/business processes within Salesforce and all other TPC tools Become an expert user of our core tools- Salesforce Microsoft Office suite Data management system Cash management software Financial planning software Assist with investment analysis, recommendations, and implementation Host initial calls with prospective clients Collaborate with Operations Department to assist in client workflow, such as account opening, transfers, contributions, and distributions Within 1-2 years, be able to co-lead client meetings with the Sr. Financial Planner and be ready to assume sole responsibility of 10-20 existing client relationships Begin participating in TPC committees and workgroups as appropriate and needed
- Trustworthy, ethical, hard-working, and professional Tech-savvy Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- “Client-first” attitude
- Desire to build long term relationships with our client families
- Growth mindset
- Adaptable and highly flexible Enthusiastic and motivated to help effect positive changes within the organization and the financial planning community
- Capable of working independently and in a team environment
- Strong analytical and financial skills, and…
- A commitment to the practice of financial life planning
What We Are Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent (any major is just fine!) 2-5 years of financial services experience CFP® professional or currently enrolled in CFP® program Must be able to pass standard industry background checks
What We Are Offering
- Competitive salary- $60-80k A career path to becoming a Sr. Financial Planner and taking lead on your own client relationships 401k match Paid time off + holidays Fully paid parental leave Work from home flexibility ~ 2 days a week Health insurance for you and your family (90% of individual premiums and 70% of family premiums covered by TPC) Dental insurance (50% of premium covered by TPC) Life insurance ($50k policy fully covered by TPC) Disability insurance (Fully covered by TPC) Continuing education budget Professional dues paid