The Department of Finance, Financial Planning, and Insurance at California State University, Northridge (CSUN) is seeking a tenure-track faculty member in Financial Planning at the rank of Assistant Professor.
The successful candidate will primarily teach Financial Planning and have research interests in Financial Planning and related fields. The new hire is expected to be actively involved in our CFP Board-registered financial planning program.
Normal teaching load is 12 units per semester; however, a 9-unit load is normally assigned to faculty who are actively engaged in research and publication to support their professional activities (SA status according to the AASCB standards).
Candidates must possess a solid background in personal financial planning, wealth management, and financial theory, and exhibit potential for scholarly and impactful research and publication.
We are seeking candidates with demonstrated experience in and/or commitment to teaching and working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and members of underrepresented groups.
• Ph.D. in Financial Planning or related field from an accredited institution
• Evidence of, or clear potential for, excellence in university-level teaching (both in-person and online).
• Evidence of, or clear potential for, conducting and publishing original research on financial planning and related fields
• Evidence of effective engagement OR potential to engage with a diverse student body
• Experience using culturally responsive pedagogy that leads to equitable outcomes for all students
• Experience creating a student-centered learning environment
• Research/Lab experience that includes working with students from diverse backgrounds
• Experience adopting inclusive approaches to mentoring
• A keen interest in contributing to our CFP board-registered financial planning program and actively connecting with the financial planning industry
• Relevant prior professional or business experience in financial planning and/or relationships with the professional financial planning community
Screening of applications will begin on September 18, 2023. Priority will be given to applicants who meet the screening deadline; however, the position will remain open until filled. The Department representatives will conduct initial interviews at the upcoming FMA meetings in Chicago in October 2023. Potential candidates will be invited for campus visits thereafter.
How to Apply:
Candidates should apply by completing the CSUN online application.
To apply and for more detailed information on the application and hiring process, please visit this link: www.csun.edu/careers.
Candidates must submit the following required materials:
• A cover letter that addresses all the required qualifications (2-page maximum)
• curriculum vitae
• research statement (3-page maximum)
• teaching statement (3-page maximum)
• sample publication(s) and/or working paper(s), submitted as a single pdf (3 publications/working papers maximum)
• contact information for at least three individuals willing to serve as references
In later stages of the search process, applicants may be requested to provide additional materials, including three letters of recommendation.
At time of appointment, the successful candidate, if not a U.S. citizen, must have authorization from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to work in the United States.