Do you want to spend your summer internship with a company that has been challenging the conventions of the financial services industry for over 50 years? Schwab’s mission is to help our clients build a better future for themselves, their families, and their communities. It is summed up in our tagline – Own your tomorrow – and it permeates everything we do.
The design of the program invites interns to engage directly in Schwab’s culture of service, while challenging them with a blend of learning programs, team-building activities, networking opportunities, and enriching work projects. Features of our 2023 program include:
- Business Track Project: Working with your host business track at Schwab provides a meaningful and valuable experience to translate classroom learning into real business projects.
- Intern Cohort Project: Partner with other interns to brainstorm, discuss learning experiences, and present solutions.
- Learning Activities: Participate in facilitated training, team discussions and events, individual assessments and activities, senior leader meetings, and on-the-job training.
- Dedicated Intern Leader: Receive regular feedback from your leader, participate in career-related discussions, and provide your own feedback.
- Strengths Application: Learn about yourself and how to apply your unique strengths, abilities, and goals to the work you do as part of Schwab’s ‘strengths-based’ culture.
- Networking: Build your network by interacting with professionals across Schwab, including senior leaders, peers, and Schwab Intern Academy Alumni.
Because interns are considered a primary pipeline for full-time opportunities, every intern candidate must be eligible for full-time employment upon graduation and must also meet the following requirements:
- Enrolled in a current undergraduate or graduate program tracking to graduate between August 2024 and June 2025
- Ability to work full time and be on-site at assigned Schwab location during the 9-week program (June 5 to August 4, 2024)
- Have specific skills as specified by the hosting Business Track
Schwab is recognized as an industry leader, and our welcoming culture will embrace your individuality and partner you with other like-minded and solution-focused students. We will invest in your summer experience by providing you direction and leadership for a robust and well-rounded internship, as well as helping you focus on a potential future career with Schwab.
Regardless of which opportunity you pursue, we will provide you with a consistent and outstanding experience – one you won’t soon forget!
What you have
- A strong desire to build and grow a career in the financial services industry
- Outstanding communication skills (written and oral)
- The courage to ask “why”
As an affirmative action employer, Schwab takes affirmative action to employ qualified minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans in our intern program. As a culture that values Diversity and Inclusion, Schwab encourages the application of Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities and Protected Veterans to the Intern Academy.
As an intern with the Wealth and Advice Solutions group, you will gain exposure to several wealth and advice-oriented business units, build industry and product knowledge and be mentored on the soft skills needed for long-term success in the financial services industry.
What you’ll do:
Wealth and Advice Solutions seeks an Intern to work with our several lines of business and partners in an effort to add value by looking for opportunities in scale and process improvement. Fundamentally, we believe all investors should have access to advice and financial planning without compromise and without the high cost typically associated with these services. The Wealth & Advice Solutions intern will gain a deep understanding of how we serve our clients as wealth advocates.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships within multiple areas of Schwab, assessing business operations to maximize efficiency, productivity and scale. Demonstrate a strong understanding of the markets, empathy, energy, and problem solving Partner and work alongside our teams to understand the value proposition of our critical offerings and look for possible synergies that will help the business. Provide input and recommendations on potential business strategies that may improve client and representative experiences.
- Work with our Finance & Analytical partners to run queries to gather data to create reports in MS Excel, PowerPoint and Tableau.
What you have:
- Currently enrolled in a financial planning program and/or on track to complete CFP Board approved coursework upon graduation
- Able to quickly learn new technology and utilize a variety of data and systems in order to proactively identify solutions to improve processes
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Proven work ethic with a high level of integrity to build trust with our team and internal partners
- Collaborative and relationship-focused workstyle with demonstrated success in a team environment
- Excellent understanding of the benefits of financial planning
What you’ll learn:
- You will gain a unique exposure to Schwab’s Advice teams
- You will gain experience developing and implementing process and operational improvements
- You will gain experience with a large investment management firm serving individuals, trusts, retirement plans, foundations and endowments
- You will be given opportunities to research, create and present on process improvements