Sets the direction for the marketing function to align with CFP Board’s strategic priorities. Develops integrated marketing strategies to support “access” and “workforce” organizational goals, driving awareness of careers in financial planning and acquiring new prospects for CFP® certification; engages with those prospects (financial advisors, career changers, college and college-bound students) towards successful completion of CFP® certification. Ensures strategies and tactics are well-developed with targeted segments and measures for success. Ensure market intelligence and industry trends are utilized to anticipate threats and capitalize on opportunities that affect growth and retention. Develops marketing strategies and manages team execution for revenue-driving programs, including conference attendance and product sales, i.e., books, branded merchandise, etc.
- Develops, implements, and manages marketing plans, strategies, and campaigns in support of key organizational goals
- Assesses efficacy of marketing campaigns and agencies; identifies trends and opportunities and innovative methods to increase revenue and enhance profitability
- Directs external agency and other contracted resources to ensure delivery of marketing communications that are relevant, effective, and achieve established goals
- Develops and communicates observations and recommendations for strategy and plan change related to the following areas: trends in consumer, industry, firm and advisor behavior; changes in CFP Board; and marketing-related industries
- Identifies, builds, and utilizes robust data, tracking and analytical tools to measure and optimize marketing initiatives throughout the organization
- Makes recommendations and oversees implementation of improvements to marketing databases based upon ongoing evaluation of data
- Develops CRM strategies, including segmentation, competitive analysis/market intelligence, prospecting, lead generation, engagement, conversion of exam passers to new certificants, communications and budgets, certificant retention, growth and reinstatements.
- Provides counsel and support to Corporate Relations efforts for firm campaigns and collateral development
- Engages with CFP Board Registered Programs for education to enhance student enrollments and completion of education courses
- Develops and manages marketing budgets which include, but not limited to, cost to acquire, cost to retain, cost per lead, cost per acquisition of each new certificant, and cost to retain each certificant
- Markets the CFP Board Career Center and Career Fairs, leveraging them as tools to provide candidates for certification the work experience required
- Markets CFP Board conferences and events, including the CFP Board Conference, Diversity Summit, and Academic Research Colloquium.
- Supports the CFP Board Center for Financial Planning in direct response fundraising efforts through quarterly direct response campaigns
- Collaborates with internal business owners to develop marketing plans supporting program goals
- Engages, collaborates, and communicates with other CFP Board functional areas as necessary to achieve organizational goals
- Manages renewal and negotiated terms of contracts with key external partners, including marketing agencies, candidate engagement platforms, digital certificates, print and mail vendors, email solution providers, and others as determined.
- Oversees CFP Board Emeritus® membership program marketing, including acquisition, renewals, and related monthly system processes.
- Provides marketing team support to the Pro Bono Program to achieve organizational goal
- Drafts and delivers, as appropriate, presentations or other materials related to marketing growth initiatives
- Provides leadership and support to the marketing team; continuously strengthens the marketing infrastructure
- Manages the overall work activities of employees within the marketing department, including establishing performance objectives, conducting performance reviews, and facilitating employee development
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business or other related field
- 10+ years’ experience in marketing, including corporate and/or agency experience. Extensive experience with direct response marketing and organizational/membership growth marketing.
- Knowledge of events and trends that affect purchase attitudes, needs, behaviors and brand relationships
- Demonstrated success in developing and implementing marketing plans that have generated results aligned with established goals
- Experience executing, producing, measuring and improving direct response campaigns across all media (website, email, online advertising, social media, direct mail, radio, print, collateral and conferences)
- Proven direct response, interactive and digital skills
- Experience in developing and implementing marketing programs/offers across an organization, from IT to stakeholder services specialists
- Experience in negotiating vendor contracts
- Experience with building third-party programs/promotions
- Experience developing positive and productive agency and vendor relationships, and experience in agency management
- Excellent time and project management skills, able to manage multiple projects with varying schedules simultaneously
- Ability to oversee, interpret and effectively utilize market research
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills
- Robust analytical skills with a data-driven approach to decision-making
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate with precision and effectiveness across all levels and functions
- Financial services sector experience helpful but not required
- Some travel
This position is based in the Washington D.C. office and works a hybrid schedule which could be changed at any time.
CFP Board is an Equal Opportunity Employer. CFP Board is committed to the policy of an equal employment opportunity in recruitment, hiring, career advancement, and all other personnel practices. CFP Board will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, genetic information, disability, past or current military service, or any other legally protected characteristic.