Senior leadership position responsible for CFP Board's public policy and advocacy programs and initiatives that advance the financial planning profession and benefit the public. The Managing Director will promote CFP Board's positions before federal and state regulatory agencies, Congress, and state legislatures. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of the legislative and regulatory processes and established relationships with key decision makers. In addition, the candidate is responsible for leading, managing and influencing public policy outcomes in partnership with organizations in the financial advice eco-system including, financial services firms, professional and industry trade associations and consumer/investor advocacy groups.
- Oversee legislative and regulatory tracking function to identify and prioritize the focus of CFP Board's public policy efforts to benefit the public and advance the profession.
- Lead the development and implementation of federal and state strategies to advance legislative and regulatory priorities.
- Build and maintain relationships with federal agency staff, key lawmakers, congressional and committee staff and representatives of the financial advice eco-system.
- Present public policy and advocacy efforts to the Board of Directors as requested.
- Advance legislative and regulatory advocacy through preparation, in collaboration with the communications team, of written materials, including issue summaries, fact sheets, letters, op/eds, articles, and talking points in support of CFP Board's priorities.
- Ensure that an organized and accessible repository of CFP Board's public policy positions ismaintained
- Collaborate with senior staff on specific content and analysis that supports or substantiates CFP Board's policy position.
- Direct the development of position papers for internal CFP Board use that captures CFP Board's priorities and analyzes CFP Board's perspectives on key issues and players.
- Oversee the work of a staff person.
- Actively seek opportunities and promote CFP Board's visibility and credibility with federal and state lawmakers, regulators, and other policymakers.
- Serve as staff liaison to volunteer committees and task forces to develop and advance CFP Board positions on legislative, regulatory, and other policy issues.
- Create, support, and participate in coalitions to promote CFP Board's legislative and regulatory agenda and public policy positions - playing a leadership role when appropriate.
- Facilitate, manage, and strengthen CFP Board's relationship with other relevant organizations on a regular basis, including consumer groups.
- Develop, track, and report key metrics that measure outputs and outcomes of activities and initiatives.
- Develop operating budgets and manage expenditure for the department. Serve as a coach and mentor to public policy staff member; actively invest in professional growth and development; establish departmental and individual staff goals consistent with CFP Board's organizational objectives, strategic plan, and core values.
- Additional public policy projects as assigned.
- Minimum 10 years proven senior leadership and management experience in financial services advocacy or public policy.
- Strong knowledge base in the laws, rules and regulations governing financial planning, investments, tax, insurance, and/or ERISA is a plus.
- Strong relationships with relevant key government decisionmakers.
- Proven ability to produce effective, accurate and concise written product.
- Effective presentation skills.
- Demonstrated track record of measuring and achieving results in policy initiatives at the federal and/or state level.
- Seasoned manager with sound organizational skills, analytical ability, good judgment, and a strong operational and implementation focus.
- An intelligent and articulate individual who can relate to people at all levels of the organization; possesses superlative oral and exemplary communication skills.
- Ability to quickly build strong rapport, trust, and credibility with tact and diplomacy.
- An energetic, forward thinking and creative individual with high ethical standards and an appropriate professional image.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate with external organizations, as well as internal colleagues.
- Ability to comprehend a large body of facts and data and discern actionable items.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Some travel required.